Skip to main content

Such nonsense

I am a mother to three children, two girls ages 7 and 9, and one transgender boy, age 11. His name is Cody and he was born a girl. I am writing this because the practical effect of the VCPA for us is that the current care being administered to my child by the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA) would be classified as a felony thereunder, which is nonsense. Please allow me to explain.

Beginning at four years of age, Cody began displaying symptoms of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), depression, and anxiety. We treated those symptoms with psychiatric care, specialized schools, and medication. I always felt like there was something else we were missing - something big. I struggled to find the root cause of the anxiety and depression and had no choice but to believe that it was a result of the ASD.

This past summer, Cody began menstruating. Two months later, Cody got his hair cut to match my husband (his father's) hair, which is kept very short. He was the happiest I have ever seen him after that haircut. He said that it felt like a whole new him. So, in jest, I asked him if he wanted me to call him by a new name. He asked to be called Conner (now Cody).

At that point, I knew something major was happening: my little girl just gave himself a boy haircut and asked to be called Conner. To me, this did not seem to be a normal "girl" reaction to getting a too-short haircut when you are just entering puberty. We have two other children who are girls, and they are "girly girls," so how can this be.

I brought Cody to his pediatrician the next day. The pediatrician met with him and diagnosed Cody with gender dysphoria: which I was told usually occurs at the onset of puberty and has a higher occurrence rate for children with low executive functioning (like Cody).

At that point, as a registered Republican, conservative voter, and with no prior understanding or affiliation with any LGBT organization, I began researching medical journal articles, and aimed to determine on my own what the standard of care is for children like Cody who struggle with their gender identity (as opposed to sexual preference). I also set up appointments for evaluations with four additional doctors having varying ideologies and backgrounds (listed from most conservative in my view to most liberal): Cody's conservative psychiatrist, CHOA, Dr. Ren Massey, and Dr. Isabel Lowell.

The result of those appointments was a surprising consensus: suspend Cody's puberty with Lupron so that we can allow him time to mature and provide him with regular therapy sessions; in the meantime, begin gender-affirming behavior such as the use of affirming pronouns: he/him. These recommendations were confirmed in my own research, and the article that I felt was most helpful is this one: "They Thought It Was an Obsession": Trajectories and Perspectives of Autistic Transgender and Gender-Diverse Adolescents," Dr. Strang, et al. (December 2018). Further research and discussion with these professionals assured that doing so would not promote the dysphoria. We are in month five (5) of administering this standard of care.

The result is a child no longer on medication for anxiety and depression. We have a new, happy child. My (rhetorical) questions to the person reading this are: At what point did I abuse my child? Why should the medical professionals at CHOA be sent to jail for providing the accepted and expected standard of medical care?

Image result for dr. leo choa atlanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An outraged mother

I am outraged at the statement by the VCPA sponsor that allowing a doctor to prescribe testosterone, an FDA-approved medication, for my 15-year-old child is child abuse. Having grown up in an abusive household, I know the difference between acceptance and abuse. Prior to being prescribed testosterone, my child was depressed, lonely, and always questioning themselves. They never felt in their right place in the body and they contemplated self-harm. Since beginning testosterone injections, my child is happy, talkative, and more confident in their interactions with family, friends, and classmates. They no longer contemplate self-harm and are not depressed. The difference has been like day and night, from sadness to joy. This is love, not abuse. As a parent, I am supposed to provide for my child, to help keep him safe and allow him to be his best self. Parents will not sit idly by and let the state substitute its judgment for that of the child, parent, and medical professionals provi

Humanity's true superpowers

My name is Robert and I am a parent of a transgender daughter. My daughter, assigned male at birth, grew up in a loving home comprised of mom, dad, and two older sisters. Our daughter's journey has been tumultuous to say the least. Her physiology (male anatomy) did not match her psychology (female identity). This was a fact of which she was aware at a very young age. She would be brought to the threshold of tears nearly daily when at school she was placed in a line with the boys when her mind was screaming that she should be lining up with the other girls. It was a personal pain that she harbored as for many years she was unable to find the language that would enable her to share it with us. This dissonance resulted in year after year of persistent bullying at the hands of her school peers. This harassment and mental anguish our daughter shouldered bravely day after day at school, but it haunted her once home. It was a personal pain that she harbored as for many years she was

You know the right answer

In the following posts, family members speak about their trans kids and the need for gender-affirming medical care to ensure their children are safe and supported. These stories are written by people opposed to proposed legislation (VCPA) that would criminalize accepted and expected medical care for transgender youth and subject medical professionals to imprisonment. #nowayvcpa